Friday, November 17, 2017

Summer in the Vineyard


Here in the vineyard of my Lord,
I love to live and labor. 
And be obedient to my God 
until my dying hour. 
I love to see the lilies grow,
and view them all a-standing
 in the right in the place while here below,
just as the Lord commanded.


This song sums up the feelings I've had this past summer. It's one of my favorites.

Many of you know this already, but church is a big part of my life.

Our church is simple, we try to follow as closely to the Bible as possible.  The weekly assembly of Christians at that old wooden building just on the edge of Hinton ...the gathering together of people you care for, people who have the same essential beliefs as you, people who look at the world more or less the same way you do.

It means so much to me.

(Free internet pictures are great!)

I love to see lilies grow---all of them, young and old, maybe at different stages in their Christian maturity. But standing in the right place, worshiping God as he designed, never-mind what has been in their past or what is going on in their life.

It's interesting, I've heard jokes about "being the preacher's kid" and all that...but I think it gives me insight that no one else has. Insight into the importance of truth...and I'm so thankful. So extremely grateful that the Lord has seen fit to put me into a place in life that I can learn and grow and see things from this point of view.

Church is one of the few places that I feel completely safe and loved. And not just my local church, Rocky Fork. I have felt many of the same feelings at the churches we have visited over the years---there's a connection, a brotherly love in all those places, even though I don't know half of them. Being with others who share important beliefs and desire to worship the Lord warms my heart.

I mentioned in the last post how my summers have taken on a whole new light; and this is how. Our summers are filled with traveling to church meetings, some only an hour or two away, some nine or ten. Dad's an Elder, and when other sister churches invite him to preach for him, we normally go. We pack up half of our stuff in order to stay at someone's house, worship with them on the weekend, and drive back home in time to meet with our local church. It's amazing. I love it.





We've been to eleven states in all, I think. I have so many friends, old and young, all over the place. My closest friends (besides my siblings) are those in the faith, as well as my mentors, and quite possibly my future husband. :) The only down side to it all is having to say goodbye...

We oft-times meet both night and day,
a faithful band of soldiers.
We read, we sing, we preach and pray,
and find the Lord most precious.
But while we sing this song of love,
our hearts are deeply wounded...
Perhaps we all may meet no more, 
Here as a congregation.


This song is so bitter-sweet, and it practically reads my mind. I love singing it with my church family, both local and abroad.

But if on earth we meet no more,
we hope to meet in heaven.
Where congregations never break up, 
but dwell in sweet communion.
Where all the ransomed church of God 
shall meet no more to sever, 
With not a sorrow, sin, nor tear
But shout His praise forever. 


It is a blessing to know the Lord and his truth, because he first loved us.  We should never forget that.

Thoughtfully,
Lindsey

1 comment: